Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Can You Freeze Sour Cream? YES!

I get asked all the time "Can you freeze Sour Cream?"  Yes, you can freeze sour cream!  However, the freezing process does change the texture of the sour cream when it freezes.  I recommend that you use your sour cream for baking.  It will taste just the same!

So how do you freeze sour cream?  Easy!  First whisk the sour cream.  Then transfer it to an airtight container or freezer bag.  If you want you can freeze it directly in the original sour cream container. Make sure you squeeze out as much air as possible.  I personally, like to use my Food Saver and get all of the air out.

And since I only use my sour cream for baking I freeze it in 1/2 cup packages.  That way I can just pull out the right amount for my recipe and I don't have to worry about the rest of the container going bad!

Don't forget to label your sour cream!  You can keep it in the freezer for about 6 months.

Thawing is easy, just put your container in the refrigerator.  You can whip a little bit of cornstarch to it if it needs to be thickened up a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment